A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away....

I’ve been toying with the idea of writing about a movie for the past 3-4 days. But it scared the hell out of me. Ok, so what’s the big deal? Both the People’s Council of China and the junta in Cambodia have expressed through written communication that they’re okay with the idea of me writing about another movie. Then? It’s the name of the movie which is setting me back, because the name is, so unnervingly for any connoisseur of the silverscreen art, “Starwars”. Now you get the magnanimity of the problem at hand.

There are two extremes of people who’ve seen the movie. The guy who sat in the next row to me; a forty something chap wearing a lungi and carrying a three-fold popy umbrella, desperately hoping to catch some sleaze in the Engleeeshu-padam. The poor chap had his moment of Nirvana when at the end of the second half, Natalie Portman appeared wearing what looked like a super-mini. That’s one end. And on the other extreme, we have people who know every single character in the movie by the name, shape, number of eyes, planet of origin, or procreation methodology. People who take it up as a thesis for their doing their PhD. People who greet each other in the morning saying “Let the force be with you”. By the way, that’s quite a nice way to say hello, but I think it’s a little inconvenient. Maybe we should abbreviate it to LTFBWU, duh, maybe we should stick to Hello.

So naturally, it was with this thought of being a part of something really colossal in its effect on humanity, that I stepped into the theatre, and there it was, all empty save a few small groups cuddled here and there, and a guard questioningly looking at me and suggesting to ask, lad, do u think u’ve landed up at the right door? I took a step backward and checked the name once again, yep, I am at the right place, at the right time. And with a wistful sigh, I marched in. And the numbers remained disgustingly low till the movie began, and that too, on the second day of showing in this town. This is the capital city of Kerala, the state of 100% literacy and a substantial English speaking population. We fit Engleesh dialogues into every improbable scene in our movies and boil in our seats at the sight of our heroes delivering them thunderously on-screen, the thunderous effect created by the unnecessary emphasis on their “t”s and “p”s rather than the merit of the script. Yet, we refuse go and see an English movie which is part of moviemaking history, and dismiss it as just special effects supershow, stuff worth watching for kids and teenagers only. Probably they should start showing alien sex in the movie, and our people will flock in to watch naked aliens copulating, I’m sure.

After three hours, when I walked out of the hall, the transformation of Anakin Skywalker to Darth Wader had etched its mark into my psyche. Why do I always have this funny feeling when watching something turn bad? I had the same thing when watching Smeagol becoming Gollum, Harry Osborne turning against Spiderman…. Maybe its time I went and saw a shrink, before I turn into something catastrophic for the planet. The same could not be said about the entire audience, though. Some were even thanking God for the series getting over, and some other, were making plans to watch the sequel which was going to be released next year!! :-D.

The fact that there won’t be another Starwars movie made me rather despondent through the rest of the day!Maybe I should get the dvds of all the episodes and watch them over and over again, a new finding, a new insight unfolding each time!

Comments

Anonymous said…
There is one more extreme: people who ask, "Starwars? Whats that?" Count me in that group.
Never felt like venturing into the world of starwars. After reading all those Asimovs, I just decided to stick onto my imagination, and not to let the visuals corrupt it. And I'm happy with it.

SnM.
mowgz said…
Hello kku "Let the force be with you"
appo Good Night nu enta parayune ? ;-)
mowgz said…
SnM, Include me too in "Starwars? Whats that?" group
Unknown said…
Hmm. These are guys who have enjoyed every moment like you and me, and visualized it, and converted their visuals into pictures/movies. No harm in taking a peek at their imagination. Lucas, Peter Jackson etc are people who never let you down with their imagination.
Anonymous said…
With pleasure! :)
Btw,I just got the cd of Pulp fiction.But I'm sure my room-mates won't allow me to watch it anytime before this weekend :(
Anonymous said…
I respect them, and their picturization of ideas. Its just that I'm happy with mine. Moreover, sci-fi movies turn me off lately.
Has anyone seen "One flew over the cuckoo's nest" and "Pulp fiction"? Any reviews?

SnM.
Unknown said…
Both! OFOTKN is a gem of a movie. Esp if u have read the book. And Pulp Fiction, not everyone's cup of tea. If you can identify with wierdo's and wierdo movies, This one is it!
Anonymous said…
"This is the capital city of Kerala, the state of 100% literacy and a substantial English speaking population."

Are you trying to say "every english speaking men should see english movies".Its up to them to decide.I know many ( mallu)who are reluctant to see malayalam movies with the presumption that they are of lesser quality and content.

More over for a good movie , language is not a problem . Its visual media . :-)
I have seen somany regional languages even with out understanding a word of it.
Anonymous said…
The problem is much more complicated than a choice between
Hollywood english movies and Malayalam movies fitted with Suresh Gopi's dialogues, for the average malayali.

He is not able to digest watching Aliens invading earth, or Human beings caught in the Matrix web. You cant blame him fully. He'd rather choose to watch his fav hero busting bad guys in the familiar Palayam market, ofcourse fitted in between with English dialogues, than spend 3 hours in the theater to see something which he cant relate anything logical to.

But mind you, dont yet write off the average malayali. Cos he would have read more Star Wars and Harry Potter books than the american. Now you tell me whether the literacy factor is working or not?

Cz
Unknown said…
More over for a good movie , language is not a problem

Exactly :)

And I am equally sorry for people who dont watch good Malayalam movies... as scant as they come.

dont yet write off the average malayali

Never. Its just that I expect a little too much out of my state-folk.
Anonymous said…
Star movies…HBO….what??? For me it was only DD1 and sometimes DD2.
It was pre-degree time I suppose when I have started watching English movies. I don’t exactly remember the movie titles...and as u guess it was those___ movies. Then I started watching movies with special effect living creatures……..but that also dint entertain me…..at last I reached in a conclusion that
English Movies = special effects or A

Afterwards I stopped watching English movies….but during engineering time we used to go for those 11am movies at Valanchery Sreekumar ……..yea in lungy..

As part of our ‘studies’ we bought a computer…..that started another period…we have started watching more movies…….and in hostel for the first time I browsed through those English movie channels…one day there was a movie in star movies……’The Beach’ that was the first movie which shook my previous assumptions………Another day one my friends took ‘American Beauty’ only to watch the ‘beauty’….but that was a huge blow to my assumptions…..to my thoughts…and I realized there are good movies…far better that you could even imagine……………But still I am not much interested in those special effect movies…don’t know why…..may be because of those initial crap movies effect

-P
Unknown said…
The first time I had a similar feeling was when I watched "Vaanaprastham" at Thrissur. That too, with such a saleable material as Mohanlal in the lead.

And I know many crap English movies which were hits across Theatres in Kerala. e.g. Anaconda, and I dont think anyone has any misconceptions as to whether people were flocking in to see the oversized reptile or...
Anonymous said…
In a movie, the expressions and the talent of those involved carry much more weightage than any special effect that can be made. The special effects will go away from your memory sooner or later, but the moments of pure talent flowing on the screen- that will stay in your mind etched for ever.

And I am equally sorry for people who dont watch good Malayalam movies... as scant as they come

Our own movie industry has fallen into this pathetic state of affairs recently only. Once upon a time, Malayalam movie was synonymous with the highest quality, and Malayalam actors were considered to be the kings in acting.
God, Why did you take away Bharathan and Padmarajan so soon...?

SnM.

Popular posts from this blog

Many many happy returns of the day? Maybe not!

Puttum Kadalayum

The price of development