When it rains...

Silence....

I was almost tempted to use an adjective, but the silence contained nothing. An adjective would be most inappropriate. I try lowering the window gently, and suddenly, the world announces its existence loudly through the chaotic and sweet music of the rain. Water splashes through the top of the glass and lands on my lap, my hand and the steering. I raise the window back to its initial position.

Silence again.

I glanced around. I cant make out whether the other four persons in the car are asleep or awake. But for this moment, I realize, they don't exist for me. Mist gathers up in the front windsheild. I turn the a/c on, and try to concentrate hard on the road in front. The windscreen-wipers were doing the best they could in a frantic attempt to part the water gushing down to sideways. I can faintly see the dark grey of the tarmac, gently dissolving into the rain. The darkness all around comes out and reveals itself as greenery; occasionally, when a clearing is reached. The headlamps don't seem to be too effective, so I ease up on the pedal. In my mind, I break into a loud, cheerful song!

Comments

mowgz said…
hmm....aa speed kandappol thanne eniku thonni,,, that we all did not exist for u ..

n may i asj u, "how long this silence last ?? ;-)"
Unknown said…
For a moment. For ever... :)
Anonymous said…
Mazha...ravileyum uchayum sandhyayum illathe mazha mathram....mazhayude aaravam mathram...bhoomyide santhoshamaayi...thanuppaayi..sangeethamaayi...orikkalum nilakkaathe..
:-)
-P
Unknown said…
ravileyum uchayum sandhyayum illathe mazha mathram...

So very refreshing!!!! :)
Anonymous said…
a gentle drizzle...misty air....balmy breeze....... and a walk thru the luscious green....

hw abt tat :-)
Anonymous said…
Mazha...ennum ente oru aaveshamaayirunnu athu. I'd always ascribed something speicial to rain, and the monsoon. I think rain is the first thing I fell in love with. I'm still deeply in love with her...

$
Unknown said…
a gentle drizzle...misty air....balmy breeze....... and a walk thru the luscious green.... and a hand to behold! Perfect.

Rain must be the oldest living polygamist in the world, right, $?
Anonymous said…
perfect indeed :-) ...
Anonymous said…
perfect indeed :-) ...
Anonymous said…
A hand to behold...Hmmm...
Oldest and greatest polygamist she must be, and she sure knows how to make each one of her partners happy, doesn't she?

$
Anonymous said…
ha ha. Btw what song?

Off the topic, yesterday on the bus I woke up (not from sleep, that was a delirium defined by limbs folded awkwardly and body slipping down the seat) with Brothers in Arms in my head. It stayed for the day.

**There are so many different worlds**

:)
~N
Unknown said…
***And we have just one world
But we live in different ones***

Does the title of the song matter? :) Well I don't remember. But there was a song!
Anonymous said…
The next time it rains, try Led Zeppelin's Rain Song. Or any Hindustani Instrumental in the raga 'Mian ki Malhar'(I'd prefer Sitar or flute though). Trust me, its an out-of-the-world experience.

$
Anonymous said…
Silence...mmmm.... it was only recently I got the real meaning of this word... but every time I can give new meaning to this.. :)
Mrs. Dalloway said…
There is this amazing song by Ustad Sultan Khan called 'Kate nahi raat...'. Rain related.

There are so many rain songs that its almost cahotic if I try to associate one song each time it rains.

Popular posts from this blog

Many many happy returns of the day? Maybe not!

Puttum Kadalayum