Monsoons!


It has started.

As always, the metereologists' hit the bull's eye this time too, they predicted the monsoon will start exactly on May 30th, 11:23 am, right after you'd have pulled up your zippers after taking the first break of the morning. So it started last week. Actually I don't remember when, but today I suddenly realized it had, and had been for quite a while. We were just about to finish our lunch and I heard the noise, sudden, unmistakable. The sound of approaching rain. And it came down with quite a brute force, some people in the restaurant actually got scared and deserted their lunches halfway and ran for their lives. And before they could complete two full steps in the open, they were as wet as they ever knew. Each drop was the size of an ostrich's egg. Thinking what's with the raindrops and ostrich eggs? You should have paid attention in 12th grade when they taught about terminal velocity and surface tension and stuff like that, instead of sizing up the physics ma'me. I hate to explain such silly things. The former. Latter, with pleasure!

The entire srroundings take a pregnant, aching and vulnerable look. (This line is borrowed). Evenings are so beautiful. Yesterday I was so struck by the blueness of the night when I came out of office, that I stood there with my mouth wide open and hands on my hips for quite a while. It was not the blue you normally see, it was so unreal. Then I realized there were some people staring at me. One of these days am gonna get that into my camera. Some very pleasant, cliched, nostalgic, evrlasting imageries from the monsoon season -
Kids going to school with their multi-colored umbrellas, splashing each other with water by rotating those...
People wearing raincoats in scooters.. though those in bikes are not as pleasing to the eye..
The working woman in saree, balancing the umbrella btween her shoulder and neck and holding up her saree from wetting, displaying a good-looking leg or two...
Areal view, a sea of blackness...
Mist on the windshield...

Transluscent atmosphere...
It makes you want to weep, sometimes. Along with nature.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It has been threatening to rain for a while.... it gets all cloudy and windy and one waits with anticipation for it to rain... Must say it rained some nights back...
Anonymous said…
also, nice pic!
SNM said…
Beautifully written, and an even more beautiful pic. When will I shoot something of that sort...?

Monsoon is something that I miss here. True, it does rain here, but the Edavappathi has a very unique identity which is inimitable.

It makes you want to weep, sometimes. Along with nature.

I have wept. Nothing has touched me more than the rains...
Unknown said…
Indu : It never threatened here. Rather came without any warning. I came out after bating today with shaking hands and tattering teeth. Its so cozy during the nights, you really begin to miss something, if you know wt I mean.

snmP said the same thing last day from LA. It rains there but he missed the rains here. Even other people who've come here admit, rains here is unique.
Me Talking... said…
athedaa... I m eagerly waiting for the next monsoon..when i will be ready with my camera.
Lot of images are coming to my mind..wish i could capture some.
In manoramaonline there is a book, monsoon photos from Victor George.
Mazhzyude purake poyi, oduvil mazha thanne kootty kondu poya..
Donno whether it is worth for 1400/-.

Popular posts from this blog

Many many happy returns of the day? Maybe not!

Puttum Kadalayum

The price of development